Apple Butter

Mark's parents have an apple tree in the back yard. To be more specific it is a cooking apple tree, so they cannot just be picked and eaten right away. So I decided that as there were so many apples, I was going to make apple butter. Here's how I did it:

14 apples
4 cups apple juice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups sugar
First I washed the apples

Then I cored and quartered them

Then I put the apple juice in with the apples and then brought the mixture to a boil and then let it simmer for 30 minutes (stir occasionally to prevent sticking).

Next I put the mixture through a sieve

and then added the sugar and spices

Then I brought the mixture to a boil and then reduced the heat. I left it uncovered and cooked it over a very low heat for about 2 hours.

Then I put the mixture in any jars I had available. See? So easy. I do have to thank Mark and his Mum for watching Kathryn while I did this...I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise!

We did have some more apples so I made some apple and walnut muffins - with Joel gone, we can have nuts in the food again!!!


0 comments: